Saturday, March 23, 2013

Do you know how a sunbird sounds like?

Female Sunbird

We don't have hummingbirds here in the Philippines, but we do have sunbirds, small yellow birds which give out high-pitched calls. One particular type of sunbird that roams around the neighborhood is the olive-backed sunbird, characterized by its golden brown back, yellow belly, and dark metallic blue throat region (for males).

During two instances I caught this cute bird hunting for small spiders. It snatches spiders from their webs. But I learned that it also likes nectar, although I have yet to see one feeding on a flower nectar.

The same sunbird caught a small spider.

In my almost one year of observing birds around my place, I have recognized their sounds. The call of the sunbird is particularly high-pitched. You can quickly recognize it. Take a look at the video below.


No comments:

Post a Comment