Thursday, April 25, 2013

Partial Lunar Eclipse Seen from Gensan

I realized that only a few people are interested in celestial events, such as the recent partial lunar eclipse. Anyway, it wasn't that spectacular. Worse, it had to occur in the small hours of Friday, April 26, 2013. Charts indicated that the eclipse started around 2:03 a.m. Philippine Time, but I set my alarm for 3 a.m., around which time I would see the penumbral shadow of the Earth on the moon.



As the moon passes by the penumbral shadow of the Earth, its brightness decreases a bit, but untrained eyes won't be able to discern any difference. However, cameras can. Anyway, this part of the eclipse isn't so spectacular. Recalling the penumbral lunar eclipse on November 28, 2012, I can say it wasn't thrilling. Check out the photos of the Nov.28, 2012 eclipse here: 11/28/2012 penumbral lunar eclipse



The moon touched the umbral (darker) shadow of the Earth at 3:54 a.m. That's according to charts. 


According to EarthSky.org, the peak of the eclipse is at 20:07 UTC or 4:07 a.m. Philippine Time. 


Then the moon started slipping away from the Earth's shadow.





I called it a night at 5 a.m. Nothing really too spectacular about partial lunar eclipses, but I'm a bit glad to have recorded this celestial event.




No comments:

Post a Comment