Friday, May 10, 2013

My Birthplace

Two days ago (May 9, 2013), we buried our grandmother in Lun Masla, a humble barangay in Malapatan. I've been to this place several times for more than 20 years. Our mom used to take us here to visit grandma and grandpa and relatives, but lately I've been too busy with work that I skipped visits.

On my grandma's burial, I saw the town again. It relatively looks the same over the years, with some changes and a few more shabby shacks. It was another chance to see everyone in the huge family--my grandfather, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Family friends were there.

During the procession, the crowd passed by this old manor where grandma and grandpa (who is still alive) used to live. This is where I was born and used to spend summer vacations at. This house reminds me of the good old days.


Not so far from this house is a wetland that teems with water hyacinth. What was once a pond is now showing signs of ecological succession (or so I guess) and is now turning into a vegetation-covered wetland, more like a marsh. The townspeople of Lun Masla call this Lamak, and I don't know what that local word means. It was good to see this spot again.



We left this place again, but this town will always have a special place in my heart not only because this is where I was born but also because I have fond memories here.




No comments:

Post a Comment